Reducing video file sizes
This article illustrates how to compress large videos that will take a long time to upload to Kaltura. The preferred compressed video format is .MP4 as it is the most supported video format on the web. Depending on your original video file, following the instructions in this tutorial, the file size may still be reduced even if your video file is already MP4 format.
1. Download, install, and open Handbrake from https://handbrake.fr/
2. On the first screen, you can choose to open a specific file, folder, or drag and drop a file in.
3. Under 'Save As - To:' you can decide where the compressed file is saved by clicking Browse. Change the folder to another location if necessary. I recommend a new name for compressed files.
4. Check that the output setting Format is set to 'MP4 File,” and has the following settings:
The preset is “Fast 1080p30” which should cut down on video size. If a smaller size is needed, you can select the preset “Fast720p30,” but the default should be fine.
5. Click Start Encode to compress the video.
6. The green Start button will become a Red Stop button until the compression is complete. :
7. When the button turns back to green, you are ready to view the compressed video at the designated folder.